This Week in Grace …
The First Word
13 He went out again beside the sea, and all the crowd was coming to him, and he was teaching them. 14 And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, “Follow me.” And he rose and followed him. (Mark 2:13-14)
We all follow something or someone. It is built into us. Jesus says, “Follow ”uc”>Me.” Tax collectors were the most hated people in the land. They were leeches who got rich by working for the Roman oppressors and ripping off their own people. The people were looking for the Messiah to free them and here is the crooked tax collector who rejects the Bible and God’s promise and gets into bed with the enemy for self gain. (like a Jew working for the Nazi’s in WW II and getting paid for turning them in – a traitor). And here we see Jesus calling him onto the team – into partnership with Him.
Jesus comes to him (the one everyone viewed as the worst God-hating sinner in the region) – right in the midst of his sin – right in the act – at his booth – and Jesus says, “I want you. Follow me.” (When you get that – you get the grace of the Gospel) Jesus says, “Follow me, because I am the King you need – I have authority over everything – and yet I’ve humbled myself for you. I am your true love and your true life, so follow me.”
A big thank you to Sammy’s community group for their help in the set-up and take-down! Clay’s group is on for this coming week.
Please give some focused prayer for the Vorster’s this week. WIth their recent move, Lisl’s back still bothering her, and Jacques’ stress at work right now, we want to lift them up in prayer. With our concert of prayer this Wednesday, we can make sure to intercede for them then as well.
After discussions with a number of people, we have decided to leave the “Taste of the World” potluck as is for the 25th of Nov. What we will do in addition, is have a church Christmas Party on Dec. 16th and have our shower for Elijah Burlando at that time – so they can be there! For our “Taste of the World” get together, if people would like to bring some additional game or activity ideas from your culture for families to enjoy, that could be a lot of fun. This Scotsman will be digging out my blue body paint – unless it is really cold out, then the paint won’t be needed! So if you don’t want to participate in that activity come with your own cultural activities and traditions that we can try and experience as families – and I’ll leave my blue paint at home.
I love what God is doing in Grace through the proclamation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. May our ongoing journey together in the Gospel according to Mark continue to transform hearts, lives, marriages, and our church for His name’s sake!
Grace and peace,
• Prayer – Sunday mornings at 9:30 am. Join a number of us who gather at the Galaxy Theatre to pray for God’s purposes and fame each Sunday from 9:30 am until around 10:00 am. usually in theatre #6.
- Concert of Prayer – Let us unite in prayer together for God’s purposes on Wed. Nov. 7th. Information can be found HERE. Be sure to read the attached information sheet.
- Gospel Community Group Leader’s Training in Saskatoon – begins Thursday, Nov. 8th. You need to register on the city website.
- “Taste of the World” – Ethnic Potluck Supper – Sunday, Nov. 25th at 5:00 pm. at Faith River’s church building – 2526 Preston Ave.
- Tentative date for Christmas Party and shower for Elijah Burlando is Sunday, Dec. 16th. Looking for a volunteer to organize the details of this event for us.
The Gospel Project for Grace Kids
- We still could use another couple of volunteers to round out the schedule, but we are thankful to have enough volunteers to have a great start. A big thank you to all our volunteers who set aside their own agenda to love others in this way. You are a picture of the Gospel.
- Parents’ take home letter can be found HERE. A Unit review for families can be foundHERE (Unit 2). Print off a copy to use with your child (ren) at home during the week.
- Have you been connecting with us, and believe God is calling you to be a part of Grace Fellowship. Consider making it “official” and partnering with us. You can find out more about partnering with us HERE.
Gospel Community Group Life
This week’s message, Jesus Loves Sinners, from Mark 2:13-17 is online. You can get the community group discussion questions in pdf there as well.
Not in a Community Group? We have groups that meet in various places in the city. To get plugged-in connect with us here.
The City Helps
Make sure to update your profile on the city to help people get to know you. Include a picture (that is so helpful for everyone trying to match faces and names and family connections). Some of you have moved or have new phone numbers – please update those as well.
(If you’re not on The City yet click here to get an invitation. You must enter “kiosk” as the user name and “jesussaves” as the password)
From the Blog
The Last Word
15 And as he reclined at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners were reclining with Jesus and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16 And the scribes of the Pharisees, when they saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors, said to his disciples, “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?” 17 And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”
(Mark 2:15-17 ESV)