This Week in Grace …
The First Word
 And they came to Jerusalem. And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold and those who bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons. 16 And he would not allow anyone to carry anything through the temple. 17 And he was teaching them and saying to them, “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations’? But you have made it a den of robbers.”
(Mark 11:15-17 ESV)
Jesus shuts down that old temple. He does not just cleanse it. He shuts it down at the roots and He sets up a new temple, of which He Himself is the cornerstone – and we as the church are the new temple made of living stones. We are to be His house . Not one stone is left upon another of that old religious way – we are members of God’s household built of living stones. The center of our faith is not a holy place – it is a holy Person!
You can listen to the entire message on the Ultimate Temple here: The Ultimate Temple You can get the community group discussion questions in pdf there as well. You can also watch this message on video.
- Music Ministry – A special thanks to James, Clay, Erwin, and Derek for setting up and leading our music ministry team with a God-glorifying vision. As we grow, more organization is needed. I so appreciated the framework James laid out for us all as we seek to honour Jesus and help people to worship Him through the songs and music. If you missed the meeting this past Sunday, but still would like to be involved, please talk to James or Clay.
- Grace Kids – We really could use a few more volunteers to serve in this area. If this is something you have been thinking about but haven’t yet put your name forward, please talk to Sammy or Murray. We are also still looking for one or two people to help oversee this ministry.
- Redemption Groups – Beginning this fall, we are looking at launching Redemption Groups for both men and women. We are limiting the number of participants to no more than 8. If you are a guy and interested in this or learning more please contact Murray, or Bo, or Erwin. We are still setting up the leaders for the women’s group.
- Redeeming Your Marriage – This is a 6 part bi-weekly class for couples about to be married or who are married. Whether you just want a reminder of how the Gospel can transform your marriage or whether your marriage is on life-support – we are praying that this group might be timely for many. Larry and Jan will be leading this group. Again, we will be limiting the size of the group to no more than 8 couples. The course will run on Sunday afternoons beginning this fall.
- Gospel Community Leader and Apprentice Leader Training – This kicks off this Tuesday, July 9th and will run for 5-6 weeks. This course does not mean that you will be leading a group or even being an apprentice leader in the near future, but it will provide you with information about our church structure, vision, values, philosophy of ministry, theology etc. that keeps us unified at the heart of our church-planting vision. It is crucial that all of our leaders have: Doctrinal unity; Relational unity; Missional unity; Philosophical unity.
- Set-up and Take-down – It has been so helpful to get extra help in this area the past while. Volunteers need to arrive by 8:15 am. On take down please wait until the music stops which gives 10 min. or so for musicians and sound team to pack up their instruments and pack up mics etc. Once music stops then the takedown team can step in and load trailer. Use that initial time to connect with guests and those new to Grace.
The monthly rotation:
– 1st Sunday – Clay’s group
– 2nd Sunday – Sammy’s group
– 3rd Sunday – Murray’s group
– 4th Sunday – Jacques’ group
– 5th Sunday (if applicable) Out of Towners
- Prayer – Sunday mornings at 9:30 am. Join a number of us who gather at the Galaxy Theatre to pray for God’s purposes and fame each Sunday from 9:30 am until around 9:50 am.. This is not just a religious activity that is a nice option. We are fools if we think we can accomplish any thing of true and lasting value apart from Jesus and the work of the Holy Spirit in and through us
- Gospel Community Leaders’ Huddle – There will be no formal Gospel Community Group gatherings the last week of July in order for the leaders and apprentice leaders to meet in our trimester huddle on Thursday, Aug. 1st at 5:45 pm. at the Venice House on Central Ave. in Sutherland.
We are on mission each and every Sunday (as well as in our work places, neighbourhoods all week long). I hope you view yourself a key part of the mission Jesus has for us in the Galaxy Theatre, where each of us gather to serve and gospel others. The Holy Spirit is at work and He has been sent to work through you. Prayerfully submit to Him, listening for His direction as to the people He wants you to love and minister to. Gather contact information and connect with new comers during the week, and maybe invite them to your Gospel community gathering. We are on this mission together. If you are finding yourself slipping into spectator mode – and participating as a consumer in convenience; you can repent at this very moment and get in the game. When it is all about Jesus – you will find yourself focusing on others and with joy joining Jesus is this great kingdom adventure for the glory of God.
Grace and peace,
- Have you been connecting with us, and believe God is calling you to be a part of Grace Fellowship. Consider making it “official” and partnering with us. You can find out more about partnering with us HERE.
Gospel Community Group Life
Not in a Community Group? We have groups that meet in various places in the city. Beginning in the new year we will have groups meeting on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. To get plugged-in connect with us here.
The City Helps
Make sure to update your profile on the city to help people get to know you. Include a picture (that is so helpful for everyone trying to match faces and names and family connections). Some of you have moved or have new phone numbers – please update those as well.
Did you know that if you are on the city you can invite someone else? All you need is there e-mail. Go into the group to which you wish to invite them and click on the “people” icon. From there select “invite someone.”
(If you’re not on The City yet click here to get an invitation. You must enter “kiosk” as the user name and “jesussaves” as the password)
From the Blog
The Last Word
5 I will give in my house and within my walls
a monument and a name better than sons and daughters;
I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off.
6 “And the foreigners who join themselves to the LORD, …
7 these I will bring to my holy mountain,
and make them joyful in my house of prayer;
… for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples.”
8 The Lord GOD, who gathers the outcasts of Israel, declares,
“I will gather yet others to him besides those already gathered.” (Isaiah 56:5-8)